Sunday, March 9, 2008
Is Commercial Lice Cures Safe?
There was a time when over the counter lice cures was the best way to treat head lice, but today there are some serious questions surrounding the use of these shampoos and creams. Not only do they contain a pesticide that may build up in your system and cause eventual harm, but also they do not seem to be working as well as they once did.It is speculated that head lice are becoming immune to the poisons in over the counter and prescription lice treatments, making them much less effective as lice cures. More often we are seeing people having to treat head lice several times with these medicated shampoos, without managing to get rid of the head lice.As a result, today many doctors are recommending that head lice be treated with natural head lice cures. This is especially true for children, as the long-term affects of these treatments that contain insecticide are not really known yet. The standard procedure for a natural lice cure involves using a non-toxic treatment on the hair, and then manually removing the lice and nits with a specially designed comb. These natural lice cures not only appear to work better, but they are not exposing your child to the toxins in commercial lice treatments.However, there are some precautionary measures that should be taken when treating lice, even if you are using natural lice cures.If the person who is infested with lice has lacerations on the scalp, especially if these sores are oozing puss, it is very important that you consult with a healthcare practitioner about how to treat the condition. This is a sign that the scalp has become infected because of scratching, and an antibiotic ointment may be necessary to clear up the infection.Another thing to keep in mind is that you should never use any type of poison or flammable substance on any part of the human body, including the hair. This can lead to injury or death.Many years ago it was common practice to use gasoline or kerosene on the hair as lice cures, but this practice is far too dangerous and should never be used. Every year children are maimed and killed because a parent used this procedure as a lice cure. Never use anything dangerous on yourself or your children. If you are looking for lice cures, there are far too many out there to even think about using a flammable and dangerous substance.Always choose a safe and non-toxic lice cure to rid your family of any head lice infestations.